Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 2 in Peru - My First Solo Lunch

Yesterday my coworker pointed out what I thought to be a food court on our way back to the office. Today I decided to try lunch on my own.



It was a short walk, around the block, through the parking lot of the supermarket, across the street and into the eatery. It turned out not to be like a California mall food court, but more like a very large cafeteria. I searched the salad bar (Ensalada)


in vain for something green and leafy without mayonaisse. Then I noticed the prepackaged section.



I saw individually wrapped ears of corn like nothing I've ever seen before. The kernels were almost an inch in diameter! I found a nice green salad with chicken, ham, tomatoes and some of the giant corn on it. The chicken in the salad is just chicken, so sauces or spices. The corn has a very firm texture, not as sweet as California corn, but satisfying. The lettuce was good green lettuce. The tomatoes were small, but firm and flavorful. The salad dressing was, yes, mayonnaise. A simple, but tasty, lunch salad, beautifully presented for a "fast food" lunch.











For my drink, I decided to try Inca Kola Light. All I could read on the label is aspartame, so I had no idea what I was getting into.





The Inca Kola packaging conjured up images of ancient kings and piles of gold. It was like nothing I've ever tasted before. Sweet, but not too sweet. A bit fruity, but no fruit I'm familiar with. A hint of bubble gum flavor is the best I can identify. I would definitely recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment