Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Cactus for lunch? Lunch in Mexico City

I've never eaten cactus before. The closest I've come is a soda pop called Cactus Cooler. But, as the old saying goes: When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
Today's lunch was a delightful mixture of sauteed beef and spices served over plantain, with a side of cactus and beans.
I generally find the beans in Mexico City to be fairly bland, despite the seasonings. The beef and avocado were wonderful.  The plantain added depth to the meal. And then there was the cactus.
It looked funny lying there on my plate. It had a shape all its own. I cautiously sliced off a tiny bite and was surprised to find it very tasty. There is a pungency to the flavor, but a crisp smooth texture to the flesh. It was a pleasant change from the usual fare.

No comments:

Post a Comment